American English vs Indian English–An American English guide for Indians

Helloo Friends,
Initially when I came to USA, I faced some issues, understanding American Accent or American English.So here is the guide to help you guys, understanding and speaking American way of English in day to day life -
01-india-us-flag-300
USA English Indian English Definition
Soccer Football For American people football is a Soccer Game.
Yougurt Curd I used to think Curd and Yougurt is different. But here in US they call it Yougurt.
Creamer Milk/Milk Powder Creamer is mainly milk for coffee
Restroom Toilet No one uses the word toilet here, they call it restroom.
Rubber(Condom) Eraser This one is funny.In India we call eraser – a Rubber. In US it’s a con*** for them.So please beware of asking a rubber from someone. You might get in trouble. Smile
Graduated From Passed Out In US, they say “I am graduated from NIT”.
Gas Petrol Initially I faced issues with this word, In India we use Petrol for Cars, In US Petrol is Gas.And Petrol Pumps are Gas Stations.
Lunch/Snack Tiffin I never understood this, whenever I used to say Tiffin, why people stared at me like that.Now I know..Smile with tongue out
Bag Plastic This was such an embarrassment when I asked for a plastic in walmart initally. Now It’s a bag for everything.
Cologne Perfume In US Cologne is used for Men’s fragrance and Perfume is used for Women’s fragrance.
Sneakers Sports Shoe They call a sports shoe – A Sneaker
Bell Pepper Capsicum I don’t know, which one is correct.But here people call it Green Bell Pepper/Red Bell Pepper.
Okra Lady Finger If you like eating lady fingers, look for the frozen veggies, where Okra is written.
Pills Tablets If you are sick, look for Pills.
what’s necessary the needful I have never seen people here use the term “Do the needful”
Wallet Purse In US, Purse is called wallet for men.
Check Bill In restaurants,Remember to ask for a check not Bill in US.
Eggplant Brinjal If you love eating Brinjals, make sure to look for a Eggplant in US.
Movie Cinema They never use Cinema, It’s a Movie or Movie Theater for them
Zip Pin In US, Pin code is called Zip Code.
I could remember only these many words as of now.Let me know, if you remember anymore, please add them in the comment box.
Subscribe to my blog for latest updates or you can visit my facebook Page : Doshobhuja or follow me in google+.
Thanks for reading.
Bye.. Smile

Comments